Monday, August 12, 2019

Links!

The six websites below sent some traffic my way recently, and I figured it only just to try to return the favor.  I am presenting them in alphabetical order, and, it should go without saying, but in case it doesn't, let me say that while I respect and admire the commitment to speculative fiction of the people who produce these websites, and think these websites are all worth your time, don't assume I agree with everything they have to say.

**********

Castalia House"Castalia House is a premier Finnish e-publisher of fiction and nonfiction."  Their blog has lots of links and interesting articles about science fiction, fantasy, and manga and anime; there is a recent blog post connecting Australian SF author A. Bertram Chandler and Canadian mastermind A. E. van Vogt to the Dirty Pair!  Cool!

DMR Books. "DMR Books publishes fantasy, horror, and adventure fiction in the traditions of Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, and other classic writers of the pulp era. We are dedicated to bringing you the latest cutting edge action/adventure fantasy fiction, as well as reprinting obscure gems from days past."  It is possible their blog is still under construction, with only a test page, but their test blog post included a link to my writing about Edmond Hamilton and other people's writing about Michael Moorcock and Edgar Rice Burroughs, so I consider the test a success!  [UPDATE AUGUST 19, 2019: In the comments D. M. Ritzlin clears up my confusion; the DMR blog is going strong and has been for a year and a half, with a large backlog of posts of interest to fans of sword and sorcery, weird fiction, and pulp, including interviews, art posts, and lots and lots of cool links !] 

KostasVoulazeris.eu.  The website of a Greek SF author with free e-books, monthly links to interesting articles and a blog with photos of reptiles and crazy graffiti!

The PorPor Books Blog:  I have been reading tarbandu's fun blog for a long time--I can remember reading it in my New York government office when I was supposed to be doing the business of the long-suffering taxpayers!--and he has been a generous supporter of MPorcius Fiction Log.  Tarbandu reviews lots of science fiction and fantasy and comics, but sometimes ranges further afield, writing about '70s pop music and producing special series of posts on various interesting topics, like his recent posts on fiction and non-fiction about the Vietnam War.

Science Fiction and Other Suspect Ruminations.  Joachim Boaz has long been a big supporter of this site, for which I am grateful!  His blog is one of the big wheels in the internet classic SF world, with lots of reviews of SF books and blog posts on recurring themes in SF cover art.  I'll never forget the time I was criticizing Harlan Ellison in Joachim's comments and Ellison himself appeared to put me in my place!

Speculiction....  Jesse, who must be some kind of speed reader considering his voluminous output, reviews 20th century SF, recent SF, mainstream fiction, biographies of adventurer types, and more, including video games!  Speed reader or not, each thing Jesse writes is thoughtful and takes the creative endeavor of writing (or producing a video game!) seriously.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, I was not aware of PorPor or Speculiction. I added both to my feed. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome; I'm glad I could turn you on to some good blogs. And thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link to PorPor.......

    And of course, 'Too Much Horror Fiction' remains THE place to go for info on those Paperbacks from Hell............!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paperbacks from Hell is a great book, and Will Errickson's blog "Too Much Horror Fiction" is a fun read.

      And thanks again, tarbandu, for supporting MPorcius Fiction Log.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for mentioning DMR Books, but the blog is not under construction. The posts may have "test" in the URL, but it's been up and running for over a year and a half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for clearing up my confusion, and of course for linking to my little project here!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the mention. Although my blog is not _all_ about reptiles; but sure as hell has a lot of crazy graffiti (http://fantastikosorizontas.gr/skiodi-paralipomena/%CE%B5%CE%BD%CF%8C%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%84%CE%B1--%CE%9C%CF%85%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%B1%CE%BA%CE%AD%CF%82_%CE%9F%CE%BD%CF%84%CF%8C%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%84%CE%B5%CF%82) and old greek scifi/fantasy book covers (http://fantastikosorizontas.gr/skiodi-paralipomena/%CE%B5%CE%BD%CF%8C%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%84%CE%B1--%CE%A0%CE%B1%CE%BB%CE%B9%CE%AC_%CE%95%CE%BB%CE%BB%CE%B7%CE%BD%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AC_%CE%95%CE%BE%CF%8E%CF%86%CF%85%CE%BB%CE%BB%CE%B1).

    Also, thanks for mentioning The PorPor Books Blog. Pretty cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, don't freakout with these weird links I posted. They're just utf-8 characters (Greek letters), not anything suspicious. Just copy/paste to the browser.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the links, as you say, copying and pasting them works fine--lots of cool images!

      Delete